My dark eldar army were started right after the new dark eldar were released, just because I thought the look of them was soo cool. However, I quickly ran into trouble with choosing a design or color scheme for the army.
I wanted them to be really dark, to have a really evil look, and my initial ideas was to have them almost black. But my painting skills made black look just unpainted when I tried that. I then tried silver + blue wash + light blue highlights. This looked “ok” and I left it at that. But after painting five of them the rest of the models got left in a box, it did just not excite me enough to keep going. You can see the blue/silver design to the left.
After more than I year I decided to give it another attempt. A fiend of mine did some nice painting with the dry brushing technique so I resolved to try that myself. I liked the light blue so I went with that, I picked red highlights to get as high contrast as possible with the main color. This turned out to be a really quick method which suited me perfectly. My photo-skills had also improved a bit since the last attempt so here’s a non-potato picture of the new design for the dark eldar:
The colors used were:
Drybrush: ice blue
Weapon: boltgun metal
Wyes: scorpion green
Basw: goblin green
Highlights: blood red mixed with blazing orange
This was the fate of the old soldiers, a long bath in green soap followed by a scrubbing with a toothbrush.
After that it was time for some elites, more specifically incubi and wracks. They are painted with the same drybrush technique
I also made a Raider, I converted it a bit to make it look a bit leaner and different from a ravager:
Next unit was is also a transport, this time a venom. Its built the same way to be able to field one unit representing the unit being transported:
At this time a friend of mine wanted to sell one of his unpainted raider as well as three ravagers, I got them fairly cheap. The raider was modeled the same way as the last one, and the ravagers was done the standard way:
For the leaders I wanted to experiment with OSL or “object source lighting”, visually I imagined an Archon for my Incubi and a Haemonculus for my Wracks. Here they are:
Here is a shot of the full army at the moment: