I started this army to be a test of the skills I have learned during my years of painting. I have experimented multiple times with different types of speedpainting, that is, trying to paint as quickly as possible to an acceptable level.
This however is to be a masterpiece (well at least by my standards) and I’m going to try and achieve as high a level of quality as possible. I have always liked the concept of the pre-heresy emperors children and they feel like the type of army that can benefit from detailed paining. My first step was to paint a test figure to test the colors, the figure is a normal space marine with the Emperors Children head from forgeworld.
I intend to paint these primarily as pre-heresy emperors children.
My recipe for the purple armor is:
1. paint all purple areas with xerus purple
2. wash with druschi purple
3. repaint everything with 50/50 xerus purple,genesteler purple, except the lower areas that should remain dark
4. highlight edges with 50/50 xerus purple/emperors children
5. mix 50/50 of colors from step 3,4 and blend in the borders from step 4
6. thin final highlights with 3 parts emperors children, 1 part xerus purple
For the gold I decided to try something else that I have never tried before, that is NMM = non-metal metal, I adjusted the paints a bit towards yellow so the final recipe is:
1. cover all gold areas rhinox hide
2. Paint over with Mournfang brown except deepest crevasses
3. higlight with Balor brown
4. highlight with Zamesi desert + flashgitz yellow
5. highlight with 50/50 Skull white and above mix
5. highlight with skull white + touch of above
I felt that this worked out fine and after finishing up the model was up for something really cool looking, the CC terminator! I used the body from the forgeword terminator but I wanted the model to be a proper playable 40k army so I got the lightning claws from the regular terminator kit:
And the same thing for the thunderhammers:
Something big, a contemptor dreadnought:
The first tactical squad is starting to take form:
The complete squad together with their comrades:
Next up Assault Marines, built from the leftovers of the Terminators, special torso from the Tactical and the regular Assault Marine kit:
The next update for the Emperors Children are more Terminators with thunder hammers, soon all five will be complete.
The whole gang is complete, 5 of each type:
First 5 of the Betrayal at calth Terminators painted as Emperors Children are now done, the plan is to make a full unit of 10:
When waiting for more Calth models I finished the Assault Marines, complete with a display base:
As well as a Rhino transport for the Tactical Marines, it is the standard Rhino kit with the addition of forgeworld doors. I had some problems getting the front door/hatch to look good, but I guess this will have to do for now: